Provision of new schools
We are commissioning new schools to accommodate an increase in pupil numbers in Kent.
Statutory guidance requires us to seek proposals to establish a free school where we have identified the need for a new school in Kent.
Further information about free schools is available from the New Schools Network.
Sponsoring a free school
If you are considering sponsoring a free school, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or contact the local Area Education Officer:
- South Kent (Ashford, Shepway and Dover): David Adams, email@example.com
- East Kent (Canterbury, Swale and Thanet): Marisa White, firstname.lastname@example.org
- North Kent (Sevenoaks, Dartford and Gravesham): Ian Watts, email@example.com
- West Kent (Maidstone, Tonbridge and Malling and Tunbridge Wells): Jared Nehra, firstname.lastname@example.org
Read more advice about sponsoring an academy.
Information for proposers
Read information relating to your area of Kent:
There is no current proposer information for North Kent.
September 2017 update: The Stour Academy Trust has been appointed by the Secretary of State for Education as the preferred sponsor for the Free School at Chilmington Green, Ashford. The trust have today opened a Section 10 consultation and are seeking views on the admissions policy for the school and the provision that the trust should put in place.
Following the consultation period, a report summarising responses received will be sent to the Secretary of State. The report will support the Secretary of State’s decision to enter into a Funding Agreement with the Stour Academy Trust.
- Commissioning education provision in West Kent - presentation (PDF, 1.7 MB)
- National Free Schools application process workshop (PDF, 475.9 KB)
- Commissioning primary education provision in Maidstone (PDF, 667.7 KB)
- Commissioning Special Educational Needs provision in Maidstone (PDF, 782.8 KB)
- Commissioning secondary education provision in Tunbridge Wells (PDF, 990.1 KB)