We are commissioning new schools to accommodate an increase in pupil numbers in Kent.
Statutory guidance requires us to seek proposals to establish a free school where we have identified the need for a new school in Kent.
Further information about free schools is available from the New Schools Network.
Sponsoring a free school
If you are considering sponsoring a free school, please contact us at email@example.com or contact the local Area Education Officer:
- South Kent (Ashford, Shepway and Dover): David Adams, firstname.lastname@example.org
- East Kent (Canterbury, Swale and Thanet): Marisa White, email@example.com
- North Kent (Sevenoaks, Dartford and Gravesham): Ian Watts, firstname.lastname@example.org
- West Kent (Maidstone, Tonbridge and Malling and Tunbridge Wells): Jared Nehra, email@example.com
Read more advice about sponsoring an academy.
Information for proposers
Read information relating to your area of Kent:
There is no current proposer information for North Kent.
We are commissioning a new 2 FE primary school in Chilmington Green, Ashford
Our Commissioning Plan for Education Provision in Kent 2017-2021 is key to achieving our aims and identifies the need for a new school provision across Kent. One such need is a new 2 FE primary school with a 26 FTE place nursery within Chilmington Green, Ashford, for September 2018. Therefore, under section 6A of the Education and Inspections Act 2006 (the ‘free school presumption’) we are seeking sponsors to establish a free school at Chilmington Green.
We are proposing that the school contains a specialist provision for pupils with Autistic Spectrum Disorders. This could be via a satellite unit of Wyvern Special School on the new school site. The alternative is for the sponsor to operate a specialist resourced provision within the school. We would be interested in sponsor’s views about this.
Email the application form to firstname.lastname@example.org for the attention of David Adams, Area Education Officer (South Kent).
- Chilmington Green Primary Proposal (PDF, 606.4 KB)
- Assessment Criteria (PDF, 39.3 KB)
- Equality Analysis and Impact Assessment (PDF, 120.4 KB)
- Chilmington Application Scoring Matrix (PDF, 18.0 KB)
- Service level agreement (PDF, 112.0 KB)
- Agreement between the governing bodies (PDF, 176.7 KB)
- Example budget for the first 3 years (XLSX, 17.5 KB)
- Commissioning education provision in West Kent - presentation (PDF, 1.7 MB)
- National Free Schools application process workshop (PDF, 475.9 KB)
- Commissioning primary education provision in Maidstone (PDF, 667.7 KB)
- Commissioning Special Educational Needs provision in Maidstone (PDF, 782.8 KB)
- Commissioning secondary education provision in Tunbridge Wells (PDF, 990.1 KB)