Money and travel advice for 16+

Kent Choices 4 U logo

The costs of learning can add up. Depending on your personal circumstances, there are some ways for you to get help with paying for travel, books and equipment.

Depending on your personal circumstances and the subject you’re studying, you may qualify for a number of different national awards or loans to help you with things like:

  • course costs
  • day-to-day living costs
  • childcare (so you can attend courses).

You should also speak to your school or college as they may have financial support options (often known as bursaries) available for students who are in real financial need.

The Kevin Lynes Apprenticeship Scheme offers between £50 - £1000 to young Kent residents who want to work as apprentices but need help paying for their transport, tools or other work-related items.

You must apply for transport assistance to college and they will assess your eligibility.

If you get to and from your sixth form, college or apprenticeship on public transport, you may be able to help with paying travel fares by applying for the Kent 16+ Travel Pass.

If you can't get to college or work on public transport and you have a full or provisional driving licence, you may be able to  hire a moped and equipment from Kent Wheels 2 Work.

Some of the financial support offered can also be used to help with travel costs.