Educational home visits for pre-school children
We can visit your child in your home if they:
- have additional needs or disabilities - this service is called portage
- are deaf, blind or deafblind.
Our home visiting service, known as portage, is suitable for children who:
- are aged 0 to 5 years old
- have complex needs
- are delayed in at least two areas of development.
We use planned play activities to help children to develop their:
- sensory skills
- physical skills
- thinking and learning
- social and self help skills.
- weekly or fortnightly visits to your home
- new ideas about how to support your child's development
- activities broken down into small steps to help your child to succeed
- a clear way of showing your child's progress
- a link with other agencies who work with your child (e.g. health professionals)
- an opportunity to discuss concerns and to be an equal partner in making decisions affecting your child
- drop-in events at children's centres and MASHs.
We are registered with the National Portage Association, who have useful information for parents about portage.
To find out if we can support you and your child, call 01892 501897 or email email@example.com.
Specialist teachers can visit your home if you have a pre-school child who is deaf, blind or deafblind.
We may visit your child a few hours a week to help them with communication, sensory play, getting around independently and more. We can also provide equipment for your child such as long canes.
To arrange a visit:
- if your child has a hearing impairment contact Ann Vickers on 07824 306233 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- if your child has a visual impairment contact Jennie Russell, 07795 151364 or email email@example.com
- if your child has multi sensory impairment or is deafblind contact Suzanne Wilkins, 07825 013362 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Teaching is run by our Specialist Teaching and Learning Service.