You may not understand all the words on this website as some
words are a bit tricky. To help you understand any tricky words we
have underlined them with a dotted line. Just hover over them with
your mouse to see what they mean.
What is a Family Group Conference?
- Everyone has problems at school and at home from time to time.
A Family Group Conference can be the start to helping you and
your family sort things out.
- Everyone in your family, other relatives and friends who care
about you, meet together so they can all talk about what could
happen in the future. Then they make a
, sometimes your
, school staff and other people that work with your
- Sometimes someone may be invited along to provide
information to you and your family
- And of course your family are invited.
Who sorts the meeting out?
- You will have your own "
- They are separate from your school staff and your
- They will come and talk to you and your family about the
meeting and let you know what it could be like for you
- Your family will help decide when and where the meeting is
- It may be held in your school or a place near your home
- It isn't usually held in someone's home or in a social services
- And you won't have to sit round a big table with everyone
staring at you.
will welcome everyone.
- Then your
, teacher or other
there will explain the difficulties you may be
having at school or home and they will explain how they can
- Then you and your family will have some time in
to talk it all over and to come up with a plan for
- There will be some food and drink for people to help themselves
- At the end the plan is written down and agreed by everyone so
they know what will happen next.
Do I have to go?
- No, someone, called an advocate, can speak for you or you can
tell us what you would like to say and we can say it for you
- If you are able to go you can choose to stay and listen, or to
be in a room nearby, for part or all of the meeting
- Your brothers and sisters will be invited too
- Perhaps you can invite a friend.
Have your say!
- It is important that you have your say too
- This may be hard for you though, so there are ways you can talk
about it, so that you can be helped this
- You can make pictures, a tape of you speaking; a video or you
can have an
to help you
- This person can be a friend, relative, teacher or your
co-ordinator can arrange for someone who is trained to help you
have your say
- Having a Family Group Conference is not a Magic Wand!
- Everyone at the meeting - you, your family, and the
will have to try their best to make things
- Sometimes a second meeting (a
) in a few months time is a good way to check how
it's been going for you.
FGC Fun Time!
Yahooligans is a web guide for children and includes online
games to play. Choose from Pokemon, Scooby-doo! and many more.
The CBBC website is part of the BBC website and includes
activities for children including online games such as Horrible
Histories and TAG team. There is also a Cartoons section and Sport