Weights and measures
If your business sells goods by weight or another measure such as volume or length you must comply with a range of rules about weights and measures.
Testing your equipment
We regularly monitor factories, shops, pubs and filling stations to check the weighing and measuring equipment used to serve or pack goods.
Most types of weighing or measuring equipment must be tested when new or after repair to make sure they are working correctly before they are used for trade purposes.
We can provide an accuracy testing service, whether your equipment is used for trade purposes or not. This includes weights, temperature, length, capacity, metering systems and weighbridge test units. If you are interested in using this service please contact your area office.
Weigh your vehicle
You can use public weighbridges to weigh your vehicle and its contents.
- Labelling of honey
- Packaged goods – average quantity
- Price marking of goods for retail sale
- Small bakers and average weight
- The sale and delivery of oil and gas
- The sale of alcohol in licensed premises
- The sale of solid fuel and wood fuel
- Weighing equipment for legal use
- Weights and measures for butchers
- Weights and measures for fishmongers
- Weights and measures for greengrocers