We are working in partnership with Community Wardens and Citizens Advice to warn residents about scams and to support and advise those that have been targeted.
What is a scam?
Scams are schemes to con people out of their money. Even though different scams exploit different vulnerabilities in people they all have the same objective – to get people to part with their money.
Other names for scam include fraud, hoax, con, swindle or cheat. You can receive a scam via post, phone, email, the internet or adverts.
You are 20 times more likely to be robbed at your computer screen than robbed in the street!
We all need to do more to protect ourselves against online criminals because everyone is at risk.
How to deal with scams
- read how to recognise, advise and get support for a scam victim (PDF, 1.3 MB)
- read about different types of scam and how to deal with them
- find out more about cyber crime
- stop nuisance calls
- watch out for scams helpful guidance booklet (PDF, 965.2 KB)
- keep calm and hang up - guidance booklet for scam phone calls
Friends Against Scams
Friends Against Scams is a national initiative that aims to protect people from becoming victims of scams and empowers communities to take a stand against scams.