We are working in partnership with Community Wardens and Citizens Advice to warn residents about scams and to support and advise those that have been targeted.
What is a scam?
Scams are schemes to con people out of their money. Even though different scams exploit different vulnerabilities in people they all have the same objective – to get people to part with their money.
Other names for scam include fraud, hoax, con, swindle or cheat. You can receive a scam via post, phone, email, the internet or adverts.
How to deal with scams
- read how to recognise, advise and get support for a scam victim (PDF, 1.3 MB)
- read about different types of scam and how to deal with them
- find out more about e-crime
- stop nuisance calls
- watch out for scams helpful guidance booklet (PDF, 965.2 KB)
- keep calm and hang up - guidance booklet for scam phone calls
- read our Trading Standards blog
Friends Against Scams
Friends Against Scams is a national initiative that aims to protect people from becoming victims of scams and empowers communities to take a stand against scams.