After you've reported a business to Trading Standards

What happens to your report

The Citizens Advice consumer service (CACS) will send details of your report to your local Trading Standards service. A copy is also sent to the local Trading Standards service where the business is based.

What will Trading Standards do with your complaint?

The information will be added to the Trading Standards intelligence database.

It is unlikely you will receive a call about your complaint unless we are investigating the trader and want more information or evidence from you.

If you have more information about your complaint for Trading Standards

If you have more information to add to your complaint, you can contact CACS using the details above as many times as you need to. Each time you call the advisor will send an update to Trading Standards.

If you need advice about your complaint

CACS advisors are fully trained to give advice on the law and to give you practical solutions on how you can resolve your complaint with the trader. Advisors can also identify if a trader has potentially broken the law. If required, advisors will explain how the Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) process works which is often a cheaper and quicker solution than court action.