Report a scam
You can report a problem with a trader or product to Trading Standards by contacting the national consumer helpline.
What is cyber crime?
Even though you are 20 times more likely to be robbed at your computer screen than robbed in the street people are still not doing enough to protect themselves from being a target on the internet. You can watch our videos to understand how easily criminals can target you online.
In April 2017 Kent residents lost over £1.1million to cyber crime, but the actual figure is likely to be much higher as most people do not report an online crime.
Here are some very basic steps you can take to improve your online security:
- Regularly changing passwords, especially on social media accounts
- Regularly updating antivirus software on computers and laptops
- Teaching your children about how to stay safe online
- Never clicking on links or downloading documents received in uninvited emails
- Always checking online sellers before you pay for goods; only pay by secure means
- Always being wary of anyone asking for personal information especially banking details.