A stopping up order is the legal process for removing highway rights from an area of land. Under section 116 of the Highways Act 1980 a highway authority can apply to a magistrates' court to stop up any type of highway, apart from a trunk road or a special road, on the grounds that it is "unnecessary".

The highway authority is the only body who can apply to the magistrate's court for an order to be made, but anyone can ask the highway authority to make an application on their behalf. You may be required to pay the application costs.

If you want to make a stopping order, contact our Planning and Highways team.