Nationality checking service
The nationality checking service is an optional service if you are applying for British citizenship. We check that you have completed your application to the Home Office correctly, with all the necessary documents and the right fee.
We will take copies of your supporting documents to send to the Home Office so that you can keep hold of your original documents.
Although this isn't automatically a faster application process, applications that are submitted to the Home Office correctly are usually processed faster.
The application fee is £65 per person. You pay this when you make your appointment and it is in addition to the fee charged by the UK Visa and Immigration Service.
The fee will not be refunded if:
- you fail to attend the appointment
- you amend the appointment with less than 24 hours notice (you will need to pay the fee again for a new appointment)
- the application doesn't meet requirements.
If you cancel the appointment with more than 24 hours notice, £40 of the fee will be refunded. There is no charge to amend the appointment if you give more than 24 hours notice.
Make an appointment
You can make an appointment with the nationality checking service by using our online booking tool or by calling 03000 41 51 51.
You can call us for more information about the service and the booking process, However, we can't give information about eligibility. Visit GOV.UK for more information about becoming a British citizen.
You can contact our offices below for further information and advice.
Joint citizenship and passport application service
You are now able to apply for your UK passport at the same time as your citizenship application.
This easy, efficient service has been developed in partnership with the Home Office. If your citizenship application is successful and a ceremony is attended, your new passport will be dispatched to your home.
If you choose to use the Joint citizenship and passport application service, please follow the steps below when filling out your passport application:
- complete sections 1, 2, 3, 4, 6 (if applicable) and 9 of the passport application form. You don't need to complete section 10 or have your 2 photographs certified as details of referees will be collected as part of your citizenship application
- the photographs you submit with both applications must be identical (i.e. from the same sitting) and comply with the photo standards in the application guidance. You don't need to get these photos certified as details of referees will be collected as part of your citizenship application
- section 1 - if you are within 6 months of your 16th birthday at the time of application, you must attend the appointment in person
- section 2 - do not enter a mobile phone number in section 2 of the application form. Please enter it in Section 8 instead
- section 4 - grandparents’ details are not required
- you must complete the payment mandate on Page 25 of the application guidance. Please ensure that the security number of the card is entered in the appropriate box.
If you are unsure about any requirements, leave the section of the form blank and complete it at your appointment.
The service costs an additional £15. Please call the offices below to book your appointment:
- Canterbury - 03000 41 50 50
- Bexley - 03000 41 11 03
- Dartford - 03000 41 36 78 (we regret that we cannot currently offer appointments at the Dartford office)
- Maidstone - 03000 41 40 04
- Ramsgate - 03000 41 19 19
- Tunbridge Wells - 03000 41 22 34