Short breaks statement - about short breaks

A short break is any break that you get from caring for your child. It could be for just a couple of hours, or a whole day, or a few days.

When we asked them, some parents said the phrase 'short break' was confusing because that is what they would call going away for a holiday. Instead, they said a short break was more like what they would call 'me time' – a chance to do things they want to do without having to look out for their child all the time.

Examples of childcare are when your child is at nursery or with a childminder. The government provides funding for all 3 to 4 year olds to have 15 hours a week childcare. Some 2 year olds, including those with Disability Living Allowance, also qualify for up to 15 hours a week of free childcare. Read more about free childcare for 2 year olds.

Short breaks are aimed at families with a disabled child. This is because of the extra effort and stress that being the parent of a disabled child can bring.

The Children Act of 1989 says that a disabled child is: 'A child/young person between 0 and 18 years, who has a physical or mental impairment that has a substantial and long term adverse effect on their ability to perform normal day to day activities'.

Some disabled children go to activities with other children such as Beavers or Brownies, or to their local council summer play scheme, and do not need any extra help provided. Short Breaks are for those disabled children who need extra support to be able to join in with other children. A small number of disabled children need very specialist kinds of short breaks.

We also have some short break services for carers of disabled adults.

Types of short breaks in Kent include:

  • weekend clubs during term time
  • school summer holiday clubs
  • overnight stays (with an approved foster carer or in a residential unit)
  • daytime stays (with an approved foster carer or in a residential unit)
  • support in the home.

Some short breaks are for children who meet the criteria of the Disabled Children's Service.

Some families who are eligible choose to have a direct payment instead of a service provided by us.

The Equality Act 2010 states that nobody should be discriminated against or treated unfavourably because of their disability. It also requires organisations to make reasonable adjustments to make sure that disabled people can use their services.

This law applies to places like leisure centres, cinemas, and organisations like the Scouts and Girl Guides. These activities are sometimes called 'universal services' because they are routinely available to all children, young people and their families. They also include:

Support to use services

Some services are happy to accept disabled people, but to get the most out of their time there some children and young people may need additional support over and above that given to all children. This could be because they need help with using the toilet, or with their behaviour. Some children just need someone to go along with them for the first few times to help the service to understand how to include them successfully.

Another form of support is mentoring. An example of this is the Young Kent Me2 scheme, which brings together disabled young people aged 13 to 19 years with other young people who act as mentors (aged 15 to 19 years). The mentors are trained to give them the confidence, knowledge and skills they need. Disabled young people are then matched with a mentor who will meet with them one night per week for up to 20 weeks to support them.

Read some examples of universal services.

Some short break activities in Kent are specifically aimed at meeting the needs of disabled children and young people. These are sometimes called targeted services.

This group of services includes play schemes and clubs run by charities or volunteers. We contribute funding to some of these groups.

You don't need a social worker to refer your child to these services - you can approach them directly. However, they may have their own criteria that you will have to meet.

Search for short break activities funded by us.

When we consulted with parents, they told us that they wanted us to spend some of our budget on funding services like these.

We listened to what you told us, and in addition to the groups mentioned above we have also funded an organisation called IMAGO (Voluntary Action within Kent) to provide clubs across the county.

Read an example of this kind of targeted service.

There are a small number of disabled children and young people who have needs that require a lot of support to be able to have a short break. These might be children with complex health needs, or behaviours that challenge services. Activities for these children are sometimes called specialist services.

They are:

  • overnight stays in a residential unit
  • short stays with an approved foster carer
  • specialist school holiday play schemes
  • term time fun clubs
  • health home sitting service
  • direct payments (a way of funding families to make their own short break arrangements)
  • personal health budgets (like a direct payment, but for meeting health related needs).

To get any of these kinds of services you will require an assessment of need by a social worker or health care professional.

If the assessment shows that this is the right kind of service for your family, you will then need to be referred by a professional.

Read an example of this kind of specialist service.

Read the rest of the short breaks statement