Environment policy and targets
The Kent County Council environment policy (PDF, 176.6 KB) sets out our commitment to:
- stabilise and reduce our environmental footprint
- reduce our carbon dioxide emissions
- make sure our estate and services are adapted to the future impacts and opportunities of climate change
- contribute positively to Kent's character, local environmental quality and natural environment.
Our action programme to make environmental improvements and address the impacts of climate change ensures all areas of the council, including schools, implement the environment policy and improve performance. Find out how our new integrated community equipment supply service (PDF, 287.1 KB) has reduced waste and saved money by re-using equipment.
Our corporate targets up to 2021
- Reduce greenhouse gas emissions by 32% by 2021
- Zero waste to landfill by 2020 - (this target applies to the waste collected from Kent County Council offices and other KCC occupied buildings and NOT the domestic waste collected by District/Borough Council, which is then disposed of by Kent County Council. A separate Kent wide target applies to domestic waste.)
These targets apply to our corporate estate (street lighting and buildings) and our business travel (fleet vehicles and staff business mileage). The baseline year is 2015.
A greenhouse gas emissions (GHG) reduction plan detailing how we intend to achieve the GHG target will be published by December 2016. A significant contribution to reducing energy and related emissions will be due to changing our street lights to LED technology.
What we have already achieved
In 2011 we set a target to reduce our carbon dioxide emissions by 2.6% per annum to 2015. Read our mid-term progress report (PDF, 909.1 KB). The final report is expected to be published by October 2016. Also see our annual Greenhouse Gas Emissions report (PDF, 353.0 KB).
All of our services are expected to deliver relevant Kent Environment Strategy priorities and contribute to corporate targets. We review the environment policy annually and provide reports to senior managers regarding progress against the our environment targets. Find out more about the delivery of Kent-wide public sector targets in our Climate Local report (PDF, 1.4 MB).
The Kent Environment Strategy
We also provide support to businesses, other public sector services and communities to ensure the Kent Environment Strategy is delivered across the county.