Corporate Director Children, Young People and Education
Roles and responsibilities
- Deliver the directorate service for Education and Young People’s Services and advise the council on policies and developments to ensure high quality universal, targeted and specialist services for children and young people.
- Lead and direct the development, implementation and review of school and children and young people’s learning services, to ensure the council meets its legal and statutory obligations for young people and their achievements.
- Direct and review the development of integrated early help and preventative services to secure the best outcomes for children, young people and their families.
- Work in partnership with the Corporate Director of Social Care, Health and Wellbeing to help ensure the responsibilities of the statutory role of Director of Children’s Services are met.
View the job description (PDF, 210.8 KB) for the Corporate Director of Education and Young People's Services role.
Patrick Leeson is Corporate Director for Education and Young People’s Services, for Kent County Council. Previously he worked as Director, Education and Care for Ofsted, where he was responsible for policy and development for inspection of schools, early years education and childcare, children’s centres, initial teacher education and the annual assessments of local authority children’s services.
Until September 2009 he was Director of Children’s Services for the Royal Borough of Kingston upon Thames. This post included responsibility for all aspects of children’s services, social services for children and their families, education services, including early years education and childcare, schools, adult education, youth services and libraries as well as all the arts, cultural and sports services provided by the council.
Patrick has worked as a teacher, headteacher, inspector and local authority head of school improvement in a shire county and in several London boroughs. Patrick is a recent past Chair of the Association of London Directors of Children’s Services (ALDCS) and has also been an active member of the national council for the Association of Directors of Children’s Services (ADCS). He has also been a member of the advisory groups for reviews of the Teacher Standards and the National Curriculum, and was on the steering group for the Tickell Review of the Early Years Foundation Stage.
Patrick's salary is £168,016.
Patrick's expenses for the past financial year (April 2016 to March 2017) are £349.90.
Our expenses policy applies to all staff. You can view a breakdown of all expenses claimed by our directors for the current and previous financial year.
- Director salaries and expenses 2016/17 (XLSX, 36.4 KB)
- Director salaries and expenses 2016/17 (PDF, 37.6 KB)
- Director salaries and expenses 2015/16 (XLS, 55.5 KB)
- Director salaries and expenses 2015/16 (PDF, 37.5 KB)
- Director salaries and expenses 2014/15 (XLS, 42.5 KB)
- Director salaries and expenses 2014/15 (PDF, 36.4 KB)
Membership: Associate Directors of Children Services.
None to declare.