Corporate Director Social Care, Health and Wellbeing
Roles and responsibilities
- Lead commissioning strategies to deliver provision of children’s and adults' social care to ensure that the needs of the local community are fulfilled.
- Ensure the statutory responsibilities of the Director of Children’s Services are fully met, working in partnership with the Corporate Director Education and Young People’s Service.
- Discharge the statutory obligations of the Director of Adult Social Services, working in partnership to enable full integration of health provision into the council’s services and to ensure the delivery of the government’s new agenda on health and public health as it emerges.
- Provide strategic support for safeguarding bodies; ensuring that children’s and adult’s safeguarding is a corporate and universal priority and act as the council’s lead Caldicott Guardian; ensuring that the principles are incorporated into the council’s policies, procedures and practice.
View the job description (PDF, 213.5 KB) for the Corporate Director of Social Care, Health and Wellbeing role.
Andrew qualified as a Social Worker in 1980 and worked for the Borough of Croydon and Lewisham before joining Kent County Council in 1987.
Andrew worked for Kent County Council for 18 years in a number of roles covering the whole spectrum of Social Services work. In 2002, he was appointed Area Director for Social Services in West Kent and in 2005 was seconded to Swindon Borough Council as Acting Director of Social Services, raising standards there from failing to “one star” rating.
Andrew was appointed to Havering as Group Director for Children’s Services in January 2006. From March 2008, he also took on the role of Director of Adult Social Services in Havering and in June 2008 he became Group Director, Social Care and Learning.
Andrew took up the role of the Corporate Director for Families and Social Care for Kent County Council on 1 November 2011. He also holds the statutory functions of Director of Adults Social Services (DASS) and Director of Children’s Services (DCS) for the council, with responsibility for the support and social care needs of over 2,000 children and 20,000 adults who live in Kent.
Andrew is active in the national associations for DASS and for DCS. He is joint chair of the ADASS/ADCS Joint Committee and a member of the ADASS Executive Council.
Andrew's salary is £189,381.
Andrew's expenses for the past financial year (April 2016 to March 2017) are £138.80.
Our expenses policy applies to all staff. You can view a breakdown of all expenses claimed by our directors for the current and previous financial year.
- Director salaries and expenses 2016/17 (XLS, 109.5 KB)
- Director salaries and expenses 2016/17 (PDF, 9.9 KB)
- Director salaries and expenses 2015/16 (XLS, 55.5 KB)
- Director salaries and expenses 2015/16 (PDF, 37.5 KB)
- Director salaries and expenses 2014/15 (XLS, 42.5 KB)
- Director salaries and expenses 2014/15 (PDF, 36.4 KB)
- Member of Association of Directors of Children's Services (ADCS), Member of Association of Directors of Adult Social Services (ADASS), Member of the ADASS National Executive, Member of Family Link.
- Andrew's wife works within Kent County Council but not part of Social Care, Health and Wellbeing.
- Andrew's brother is employed by Handelsbanken (Kent County Council deposits under Treasury Management Policy)
None to declare.